By Taya Shields, Junior School Director
Many parents wonder about the advantages of private school at some point during their child’s education. They consider their children’s strengths, needs, preferences, their passions and potential, schedules, friends, and what their prospects could and should be. Many parents recognize that a private education has real advantages for preparing students for university. As the Head of the Junior School at King’s-Edgehill School, I know that the advantages and opportunities are amplified significantly with an early start. I believe Grade 6 or Grade 7 is the optimal time and here are the reasons why:
- Your child will respond well to the nurturing environment. Small class sizes and caring staff provide your child with the positive attention they need at this important stage in their education. As children cross the bridge between elementary and middle school, they struggle with the conflicting needs of being attended to carefully and given the independence they feel they’ve earned. At KES, students can stretch their wings within a safe and nurturing environment that encourages their individuality. In Grades 6 and 7, your child will receive an optimal amount of individualized academic support. KES is a place where learning is lauded and classmates discover the joy of learning together. The faculty at KES is exceptional. Our teachers know each child well and see each child’s unique abilities and potential. They are passionate about making the learning experience meaningful and relevant for every one of their students. Our teachers enable your child’s success without stifling his or her growth.
- This is the perfect time for your child to discover his/her passions and untapped talents. Young children have the wonderful ability to learn new things quickly, eagerly and fluently. With the right support, they are willing to try new things and explore new interests without feeling self-conscious. With the right opportunities, they take risks, and soak up ideas, activities, different cultures and languages. At King’s-Edgehill School, your child will be exposed to an amazing Fine Arts Programme (art, music and drama), a plethora of sport offerings and daily physical activities, leadership opportunities through community service, and an excellent academic programme. It is a critical time for discovery and enrichment.
- Our Grades 6 and 7 secure a strong academic foundation,which prepares your child for high school, university and the world beyond. Students need a solid foundation in reading comprehension and writing skills, as well as logic and math skills to serve them well when thinking critically about problems posed and expressing their ideas. At KES, we apply an individualized approach to learning, fostering the important 21st century skills that will make your child a good communicator, researcher and problem solver. Fundamental study and organizational skills also are emphasized as key components in the success framework. It is our role to promote life-long learning early in life.
- Grades 6 and 7 are critical years for your child to develop a healthy sense of self. The teenage years are times of social change and uncertainty and it is important to nurture a strong, positive self-image. King’s-Edgehill School provides students with opportunities beginning in Grade 6 to think beyond themselves and actively help others in the community through shared volunteering experiences. Regular service opportunities at local hospitals, seniors’ residences, elementary schools, and soup kitchens allow our students to help others while developing empathy, good citizenship and, most importantly, the wonderful reward of knowing that the quality of someone else’s life has been improved. Such leadership allows our students to focus on the needs of others while growing in confidence and feeling good about the contributions they are making.
- It’s the right time to become part of an environment with a strong sense of school community. KES provides a uniquely caring atmosphere where every student feels at home. Meaningful, supportive relationships develop on so many levels between advisors, teachers, coaches, houseparents and among fellow students. Although the Junior and Senior Schools are separate, we initiate many activities that encourage older students to develop positive relationships with our younger ones. Enjoyable and exciting social opportunities abound, and many meaningful life-long friendships are cultivated. We work hard to develop a network of caring and sharing that shapes our school community, and reinforces our deeply rooted principles of dignity and respect.
If you are considering a change to your child’s current education, it’s never too soon to begin researching and exploring alternatives. The right school is out there for your child – one that nurtures their self-esteem, lauds their gifts and helps them overcome their limits. Grades 6 and 7 are ideal years for new opportunities in an exceptional teaching environment.
If you are interested in learning more about our Junior School, please join us for our Open House on April 28th.